FIDUCIARY ACTIONABLE KNOWLEDGE IN THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. WE GET A COMMISSION, AT NO COST TO YOU, IF YOU DECIDE TO CLICK THROUGH CERTAIN LINKS. WE ONLY RECOMMEND PRODUCTS OR ORGANIZATIONS THAT WE BELIEVE WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH REAL RESULTS. PLEASE READ OUR DISCLOSURE PAGE FOR MORE INFO.
I know why you have failed. You have failed because you have been lied to. I’m not sure who has lied to you but I believed the lie too.
Today, I will tell you how I successfully formed a new habit.
If you haven’t heard of me before, I’m sorry I’ll do better. My name is Tyrone Bufkin and I am devoted to finding strategies that achieve results for myself and for anyone willing to listen.
The lie we have been told about habits it that it takes 21 days to form a new habit. This leads us to a false sense of security because it sounds so believable doesn’t it? The truth behind the story can be found in Dr. Maltz’s research as a plastic surgeon in the 1950’s. He discovered that he took his patients at least 21 days to get used to their new face. Just in case you missed it, Dr. Maltz’s made a point to say at least 21 days.
Somewhere along the line people go it twisted and started saying that all habits take 21 days to form. Phillippa Lally, a psychology researcher at Unversity College London, finally decided to do a real study. She discovered that he takes 66 days on average to form a new habit and can take up to 254 days. Don’t despair, this is good news. I kept failing at developing a habit until I had the truth. The following is the strategy I used to finally and successfully create new habits. Use at your own risk and reward.
- Make two lists: Things that you do every day and things that happen to you every day (10 Mins)
- Choose a small habit that’s actually important to YOU and so incredibly easy to start that you can’t say no to (5 Mins)
- Select the reminder, trigger, or cue from the lists that you want to initiate the new behavior (5 Mins)
- Choose a positive & effective reward for each time you practice your new habit such as positive self-talk (10 Mins)
- Complete the new routine of trigger, new habit; & reward for at minimal 66 days to 254 days (Depends on the habit & reward)
University College London
How are habits formed:
Modeling habit formation in the real world